June is LGBT Pride Month, so last year's June I read only books with LGBT+ characters. I'm planning to do the same this year as well. (I do read such stories throughout the year as well, but it's nice to have this kind of special month. ^^)
At first, I'd like to recommend a few really cool books with LGBTQIA characters that I liked a lot. For the most part, characters here just happen to be queer, but there are some stories that specifically deal with queer issues. Some of the authors are LGBT+ too.
Because of my personal preferences most of these books are speculative fiction written by women.
- God's War Trilogy (Bel Dame Apocrypha) by Kameron Hurley (science fiction fantasy - bisexual)
- Obscura Burning by Suzanne van Rooyen (science fiction - bisexual)
- The Drowning Girl by Caitlín R. Kiernan (fantasy, paranormal - lesbian, transgender)
- The Summer Prince by Alaya Dawn Johnson (science fiction - bisexual, polyamorous)
- Blue is the Warmest Color by Julie Maroh (graphic novel - lesbian, bisexual)
- Ash by Malinda Lo (fantasy - lesbian)
- The Inheritance Trilogy by N.K. Jemisin (fantasy - pansexual, polyamorous)
- Paradise Kiss by Ai Yazawa (manga - transgender, bisexual)
- Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie (space opera - agender)
- The Other Me by Suzanne van Rooyen (YA - transgender)
- The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin (science fiction - genderfluid/agender?)
- Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett (fantasy - transgender, lesbian, crossdressing)
- As Red As Blood by Salla Simukka (YA thriller - lesbian)
Books I haven't read yet that have queer characters and sound interesting:
- Ascension by Jacqueline Koyanagi (space opera - queer women, polyamory)
- Huntress by Malinda Lo (fantasy - queer women)
- Adaptation; Inheritance by Malinda Lo (science fiction - bisexual)
- Wandering Son by Takako Shimura (manga - transgender)
- The Mirror Empire by Kameron Hurley (epic fantasy - nonbinary & queer characters, polyamory)
- Dust by Elizabeth Bear (space opera/science fiction fantasy - queer & agender characters)
- and anything by Sarah Waters I think?
Feel free to offer your recommendations! I especially want books with nonbinary characters.